before debuting in 1987 as
this historical spot reopened as
and stands today as McMenamins'
airports in the U.S. is now home to
Event goes live at 7 pm
All ages welcome
Minor with parent or guardian
5:30 pm doors, 7 pm program
6 pm doors, 7 pm program
5:30 pm doors, 6:30 pm program
The Cedars In 1917, a detention home for “fallen women” called The Cedars was built to the north of Edgefield, under the stewardship of Lola Baldwin, Portland’s first policewoman and namesake of our Lola’s Room at the Crystal Ballroom. Press clippings trumpeted The Cedars as a “refuge for diseased women.” Yet the concern wasn’t actually…
Its mission was to "rehabilitate" sporting women. In the mid-1920s, The Cedars was reincarnated as the Bealey Military Academy, and then a decade later, dismantled and rebuilt as the building that today houses Ruby's Spa.
Because he liked to sit and rock on the front porch, Chris assumed the role of Edgefield's unofficial greeter for much of the three-decade period.
In 1991, it seemed the natural space for McMenamins Edgefield's brewery, which is still the company's largest.
In years past, such events like this one in the 1950s, were a more cozy affair. A rare snowfall proved a good reason to photograph the poor farm during a prosperous period of the 1950s. Note the bus parked in front of the side porch.
The Multnomah County Poor Farm was hailed as a model of agricultural efficiency and production. It provided food not only for poor farm residents, but also those of the county jail and hospital. The farm operation finally ceased in 1969.
A deep source of regret for McMenamins was the loss of great barns of the poor farm. Fearing injuries and lawsuits arising from the teenagers roaming the property largely unchecked during the 1980s, the county had the well-preserved barns torn down shortly before Mike and Brian bought the property. Here is the milking barn as it looked in 1980.
Wild blackberries consumed much of the Edgefield property during its vacant period of the 1980s. Entire outbuildings disappeared. Here the old greenhouse is threatened. The tangled quagmire in the foreground is where the present herb garden is laid out.
Gardens were part of McMenamins' initial rejuvenation of Edgefield in the 1990s. Here the herb garden is being laid out on the north side of the greenhouse. Vintage photos show that a flower garden was in this same spot in decades past.
The early stages of McMenamins' renovation included the hauling away of many dumpsters' worth of rubbish and debris. In the early 1990s, McMenamins removed this transformer to make room for the outdoor dining and event area known as the Loading Dock. The transformer was memorialized in one of the earliest brews made at Edgefield, called Transformer Ale.
Reconstruction of the burned-out Power Station and fashioning a pub, movie theater and lodging rooms within the original 1911 structure came in 1991. The brewery McMenamins created at Edgefield in 1991 remains the company's largest.
"We took what was there at Edgefield and tucked a golf course into it." Thats's how Patrick McNurney explains the original layout for the Pub Course. Patrick helped in the courses's design and construction. At the debut of the course on August 31, 1998, Mike McMenamin sunk his first hole-in-one ever.
Our goal is to keep the past in the present, to celebrate and connect us all with the people and events that have helped define each McMenamins property. To that end, we research, interview and compile materials to identify and commemorate our properties and their surroundings.
Do you have a story to share about one of our properties?
Or maybe you have a historic artifact, photo, videotape or document to show us?
We’d love to talk with you about it.
Copyright © 2017-2020 McMenamins Inc. All rights reserved.